We believe in community, and we believe in sharing. That's why Minnesota Energy Resources, our employees and retirees, with support from our charitable foundation, provided direct grants, matching gifts, and United Way support valuing more than $138,842 in 2016. These contributions are presented by Minnesota Energy Resources and the Wisconsin Public Service Foundation, a private charitable foundation supporting Minnesota Energy Resources. The foundation is funded by shareholders of the corporation and NOT by utility customers.
Contributions are made in the following categories:
- Community and neighborhood development: Communities become stronger when neighbors work together. We support nonprofit organizations dedicated to community improvement.
- Education: Life-long learning helps ensure a strong future for our communities and their economies. We support programs that complement our company's educational programs and philosophies, including opportunities for minorities and women. We support programs where businesses and educational institutions partner, provide career planning and mentor youth.
- Environment: As a company, we protect and encourage the wise use of natural resources. We also support others' efforts for the betterment of fish and wildlife, water and air quality, forests, energy efficiency, renewable energy and recycling.
- Human services and health: The physical and emotional well-being of everyone in our communities is a measure of the health of the communities. We support programs that serve limited-income, senior and handicapped individuals. And we support programs emphasizing wellness.
- Arts and culture: Arts and culture add to the richness of life in our communities. We support projects that promote diversity and make the arts accessible to all people, including theater, dance, music, drama and museums.