Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas produced when heating systems are not working correctly. You can't smell, taste or see carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can build up inside a house because of incomplete combustion and cause severe sickness and even death.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Sudden flu-like illness
- Dizziness, headaches, sleepiness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fluttering or throbbing heartbeat
- Cherry-red lips, unusually pale complexion
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Get the victim out of the house and into fresh air immediately.
- Call 911 or emergency medical help at once.
- Get everyone else out of the house.
- Open the windows.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Be alert for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms and replace them every five years.
- Never operate internal combustion engines indoors.
- Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
- Have all fuel-burning appliances, flues, vents and chimneys checked regularly.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms
Make sure your home is equipped with working CO alarms.
- In two-story homes, install at least one CO alarm on each level.
- For added safety, consider installing a CO alarm in each bedroom.
- If your home has a basement, install a CO alarm at the top of the basement stairs.
- Change the batteries in CO alarms at the beginning of winter and then every six months.
- Replace CO alarms older than five years.
First Alert CO Alarms
First Alert is offering Minnesota Energy Resources customers a 20% discount on all of its Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms.
To take advantage of this offer, visit FirstAlertStore.com/gas and select the alarm(s) you would like to purchase. Your 20% coupon will be automatically provided at checkout.
First Alert will provide the discount through April 2, 2014.