- 1-1/2 lbs (approx.) dried black-eyed peas (3 cans)
- 5 cloves garlic (4 cloves minced)
- Emeril's Original Essence seasonings
- 3 bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons of bouillon crystals
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 lbs (approx.) skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 tablespoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 lbs (approx.) sausage
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 can (20 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
Prepare dried peas by placing in a kettle and adding water to about 4 inches above peas. Add 1 clove garlic, 1 teaspoon Emeril's Essence, bouillon, salt and pepper. Let sit overnight, then cook until tender or start cooking right away. Best to let soak so some of the seasoning gets into the peas. When tender, rinse and drain and set aside.
In a large kettle, put 6 cups water, chicken stock, bay leaves, another teaspoon Essence, chicken, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
While chicken cooks, put olive oil, onions and 4 cloves minced garlic in large skillet. Add shrimp and sprinkle with Essence. When shrimp is cooked, remove, cut in half and set aside.
Add sausage to skillet and brown. Take chicken out of kettle, but keep stock. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Remove sausage from pan when cooked. Place chicken into skillet, sprinkle with Essence and let brown a little. Cut sausage crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
In kettle with chicken stock, add rice, tomatoes (including juice) and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil, adding more chicken stock or water if needed. Add sausage and contents of the skillet (chicken, etc.). When rice is cooked, add shrimp and beans; reduce heat and, if needed, season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and Essence.
Place into bowl and garnish with chopped green onions and/or parsley (optional).