The Home Energy Excellence Program provides support to builders for improving the energy efficiency of homes. It is available for any builder who is building a home that will have natural gas service provided by Minnesota Energy Resources. The goal of the program is to improve the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) rating of a home by at least 8%. Residential Science Resources (RSR) is a Minnesota Energy Resources subcontractor who supports builders enrolled in the program. At no cost to the builder, RSR will:
- Review the home's plan (blueprints) with recommendations for energy improvements.
- Perform an on-site inspection upon completion of framing with feedback on building to date, recommendations for improvements and needed corrections.
- Perform a second on-site inspection upon completion of the insulation with feedback on building to date, recommendations for improvements and needed corrections.
- Perform a final on-site inspection with a blower door test, an infrared camera test, and duct leakage test for verification of performance with needed corrections.
Home Energy Excellence Benefits
- Pre-Construction Blueprint Evaluation
- Up to 2 On-site Inspections During Construction
- Post-Construction Building Evaluation
- Home Energy Excellence Certificate
- Listing on Minnesota Energy Resources Website
- Program Rebate Choices:
- Traditional Home Energy Excellence Rebate Structure: Rebate of $500 for 8% improvement in HERS rating or $1,000 for 10% improvement in HERS ratings for the first 10 homes annually; $5/MCF saved thereafter.
- Guaranteed Rebate Structure: Builders can choose to receive rebates as defined by the Residential Rebate Program for New Construction. This option provides rebates as defined by the efficiency of the equipment and still reap the benefits of the whole house consultation services provided by the Home Energy Excellence program.
Please Note: Builders must choose one of the two options above for their participation in the program for all of their premises enrolled in the HEE program.
Home Energy Excellence Program Minimum Requirements
At a minimum, the home must contain the following:
- A 92% AFUE or higher sealed combustion condensing furnace, an 85% AFUE or higher sealed combustion condensing boiler or a 90% CAE integrated heating system.
- A 0.64 EF (or higher) power vented water heater or .82 EF gas tankless water heater.
- Design mechanical ventilation.
- A programmable setback thermostat.
- Air tightness standards compliance.
In addition to the above support, Minnesota Energy Resources will assist with the following:
- Bill inserts and website promotions on the Home Energy Excellence program.
- Encouragement to home buyers to look for a "Home Energy Excellence home" in our promotional materials.
Minnesota Energy Resources will cooperate with electric utilities that may want to partner in providing these promotional efforts.
Both single family and townhouses will be eligible to participate in the program.
Home buyers will not be eligible for certain gas equipment rebates from the Residential Heating Rebate and Residential Water Heating Saver Rebate programs for homes participating in the HEE program. The builder should inform buyers of this limitation.
For more detailed information about this program, including the minimum requirements for rebates, please call 651-200-3411.