The Home Energy Excellence Program provides support to builders for improving the energy efficiency of homes. It is available for any builder who is building a home that will have natural gas service provided by Minnesota Energy Resources. The goal of the program is to improve the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) rating of a home by at least 8%. Residential Science Resources (RSR) is a Minnesota Energy Resources subcontractor who supports builders enrolled in the program. At no cost to the builder, RSR will:
- Review the home's plan (blueprints) with recommendations for energy improvements.
- Perform an on-site inspection upon completion of framing with feedback on building to date, recommendations for improvements and needed corrections.
- Perform a second on-site inspection upon completion of the insulation with feedback on building to date, recommendations for improvements and needed corrections.
- Perform a final on-site inspection with a blower door test, an infrared camera test, and duct leakage test for verification of performance with needed corrections.
Home Energy Excellence Benefits
- Pre-Construction Blueprint Evaluation
- Post-Construction Building Evaluation
- Home Energy Excellence Certificate
- Listing on Minnesota Energy Resources Website
- Rebate of $500 for 8% improvement in HERS rating or $1,000 for 10% improvement in HERS ratings for the first 10 homes annually; $5/MCF saved thereafter.
Home Energy Excellence Program Minimum Requirements
At a minimum, the home must contain the following:
- A 92% AFUE or higher sealed combustion condensing furnace, an 85% AFUE or higher sealed combustion condensing boiler or a 90% CAE integrated heating system.
- A 0.64 EF (or higher) power vented water heater or .82 EF gas tankless water heater.
- Design mechanical ventilation.
- A programmable setback thermostat.
- Air tightness standards compliance.
In addition to the above support, Minnesota Energy Resources will assist with the following:
- Bill inserts and website promotions on the Home Energy Excellence program.
- Encouragement to home buyers to look for a "Home Energy Excellence home" in our promotional materials.
Minnesota Energy Resources will cooperate with electric utilities that may want to partner in providing these promotional efforts.
Both single family and townhouses will be eligible to participate in the program.
Each builder may be eligible to receive Home Energy Excellence rebates for a maximum of 10 homes per year. Builders who receive Home Energy Excellence rebates for 10 homes and continue to build homes that meet Home Energy Excellence criteria in any given year will receive a rebate of $5.00 per projected MCF saved.
Homes participating in the program will not be eligible for certain gas equipment rebates from the Residential Heating Rebate and Residential Water Heating Saver Rebate programs. The builder should inform buyers of this limitation.
For more detailed information about this program, including the minimum requirements for rebates, please call 651-200-3411.