Please call us immediately if you think you may have a natural gas leak or emergency.

Natural Gas Leaks

Natural gas has a distinct, pungent odor so it is easy to detect. Leaking gas can cause an explosion and fire.

If you smell a weak odor of natural gas:

  • Open the windows.
  • Check for an extinguished pilot light.
  • If a pilot light is out, wait for the gas odor to go away before relighting.

If you can't find the source of the leak:

  • Get everyone out at once.
  • Do not use the telephone or a lighter.
  • Do not turn any electrical switches or lights on or off.
  • Go to a neighbor's and call Minnesota Energy Resources immediately at 800-889-4970.

If you smell a strong odor of natural gas:

  • Open the windows
  • Get everyone out at once.
  • Do not use the telephone or a lighter.
  • Do not turn any electrical switches or lights on or off.
  • Go to a neighbor's and call Minnesota Energy Resources immediately at 800-889-4970.

Back to Top